The Machame route, also known as the “Whiskey” route, is the most popular route on Kilimanjaro. Machame’s draw is in its scenic beauty. However, the trail is considered difficult, steep and challenging, particularly due to its shorter itinerary. Therefore this route is better suited for more adventurous folks or those with some high altitude, hiking or backpacking experience.
The route approaches Mount Kilimanjaro from the south after a short trip by car (around 30 minutes) to Machame Gate. From there its a steep and tough trek through the rain forest to Shira Ridge. Then the route traverses underneath Kilimanjaro’s Southern Ice Field on a path known as the Southern Circuit before summiting from Barafu Camp. Descent is made via the Mweka route.
Tanzania Horizon Safaris offers Machame as a seven day group climb or as a six day private climb. The six day variation combines days four and five, going from Barranco Camp to Barafu Camp without staying at Karanga Camp.
Machame Route 6 Days 5 Night
Marangu Route 6 Days 5 Night
Lemosho Route 7 Days 6 Night
Rongai Route 7 Days 6 Night
Included in Price Package
• Private transport to & from Kilimanjaro International Airport to your accommodations in Moshi.
• 2 nights of accommodation in Moshi.
• Transportation to & from the Kilimanjaro gate
• Park entry fees,
• Camping fees
• Team Kilimanjaro Rescue fees
• Mountain tents
• Sleeping Mats
• Professional mountain guides, cook and porters
• Constant health checkups during your climb
• 3 hot meals daily while on the mountain
• Enough treated & filtered drinking water throughout the trek
• Hot water for washing
• Fair wages for the mountain crew
• Government taxes
• Emergency first-aid kit
• 18% VAT on tour fees & services
– Lunches, dinners and drinks at your hotel before and after climb.
– Travel insurance
– Portable flush toilet with a toilet tent is available for extra charges $ 80 for the entire trek.
– Laundry (Available at hotel)
– Personal items and toiletries
– Tips for guides, porters and cook